Thursday, December 22, 2011

Road Trip 2011/12. Day 1 Alice Springs to Coober Pedy

Things will be out of place because I will add some more photos of our time in Alice Springs, but as we have already started our trip home, this will be the focus of my posts. I still feel I need to reflect on some things and discuss as much as I can about our time there and my reflections. Belinda will hopefully begin her "Watercloset Chronicles". Something a little light hearted.

On the road to new beginnings. At least we are happy there. 30 minutes before this I couldn't fit everything in the Challenger and I was STRESSED.

First stop, after waving goodbye to Alice Springs, was Kulgera. The last and first hotel in the Northern Territory.



274km from Alice Springs and we run into someone we know! Paul and Teresa Imms and their wonderful daughters. Small world.




688km to Coober Pedy. Where were in car DVDs in my younger days. The road remained unsealed to Coober Pedy until 1987. It is the Opal capital of the world and virtually every shop sells them. No bargains though. Interesting place. You actually feel like you are inside the mines themselves. Thanks to Big 4 Coober Pedy, Johns Pizza and the Druces from Alice Springs who we ran into in the middle of nowhere.



Heading down one of the mines in Coober Pedy that has now been turned into a tourist attraction. We also go through living quarters. Lots of people and hotels are built underground. It is a once in a lifetime experience, I am not really interested in visiting the place again...except for a pizza.

Belinda made it down the mine and caught up with this fellow...Hey, what is he looking at?

This is a hand dug mine shaft. They litter the landscape and some are not covered. They tell you not to walk backwards or walk forwards with a video camera.



Why would I take this photo? This what it looked like for 540km from Coober Pedy to Port Augusta (Day 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment