Monday, July 28, 2008

Adventures in Alice while you are waiting for your third child to be born

It is amazing what you can find to do with your time when you are waiting for a baby to be born. Alice comes alive in May, June and July. I am now becoming more like my father and often complain about tourists taking the best parking spots and getting in the way of me going about my day to day business like going to the post box, getting a coffee (I have become addicted to Paul’s Territory’s Own Ice Coffee and the incredibly strong Farmer’s Union Double Strength Ice Coffee and visiting Gloria Jeans (mainly to try and win a free coffee from their question board) and expecting Belinda to come home with a coffee from somewhere when she goes out), and walking around to see if I know anybody and can seem like a true local in front of the tourists.

The Finke Desert Race is a hotly anticipated event in Alice. Over the Queen’s Birthday Long Weekend, I was a bit ho hum about it all initially, but my excitement was ignited by the Centralian Advocate’s front page story on the fact that Tony “Plugger” Lockett was going to ride in the race. It is a 500km round trip from Alice to Finke and back over three days. I decided to take the boys to the finish of the race on the Monday and had an absolute ball watching the desert buggies come in. We arrived to find the commentator going wild and building the anticipation. “Look on the horizon” “I think the first helicopters will come into view very soon” “Keep watch. Keep watch.” By this time, we had only been there 10 minutes; the boys were bored and had had enough. The crowd were very subdued and I did not know why we even bothered. Then…the helicopters could be heard (TV crews), the crowds in the stands stood up, all the kids bolt down to the fence, including Kurtis and Elijah, and the binoculars and cameras come out. The roar of the lead desert buggy comes in, throws dust and mud into the air and the crowds cheer. My two boys awoke from their apathetic slumber and were hooked. This was also evidenced by the tears that flowed when I said we had to go some four hours later. They ran up and down the fence line as each new buggy came in. They ran from the entry point to thefinishing line as each racer came in. They were hooked and I have to say, so was I. Plans have already been made to view the time trial, the start, and the coming in of the motorbikes next year. I have even planned to get my motorbike licence…just to feel part of the action.


The International Beanie Festival. Maybe you have never heard of it? Handmade beanies as far as the eye can see, from all around the world, all unique in their own special way. This is serious business. You have to see it to believe it. Try before you buy, but you are also supporting a large group of indigenous women who sell these around the world for an income- once you see the prices you can understand why you could live off these!!













The Alice Springs Show. Just like any other country show. After 9 days of waiting for something to come out of Belinda’s stomach (ok, womb), she had to go to the hospital to be induced. What to do with Kurtis and Elijah? Belinda has made some fantastic friends through church and play groups and people actually offered to take the boys off our hands while we went to the hospital. The show only goes for 2 days and 2 different families looked after them, and the boys experienced 2 full days at the show. We were in a bit of a rush and I thrust $60 into Kurtis’ hand and they were off. Elijah and Kurtis had about 6 goes on the dodgems, whiplash injuries and the show bags don’t get any better out here. Am I a good father who allows his sons to buy one show bag each and then tells them off once they have bought the dodgiest show bags worth fifteen to twenty dollars each? Someone encourage me please!


No comments:

Post a Comment