Sunday, January 1, 2012

Day 13 and 14: Dubbo to Newcastle


387km to Newcastle and we have just tripped over to 4000km for the trip thus far. To put it into a little perspective, I usually do about 2000-2500km a term (10 weeks) in Alice Springs. We arrive in Newcastle and are staying at the Charlestown Executive Apartments, 10km to the beach. Finally, a little bit of luxury for fraction of the cost. Oh, Happy New Year to everybody. We spent New Years Eve down on the foreshore of Newcastle and enjoyed the fireworks at 9pm and took 3 tired boys home to bed. How are the boys going after such a long trip. We have named Kurtis second Dad as he has stepped up and looked after Joseph quite a bit. He does also try to pull him into line which is quite amusing at times. Elijah still needs his hugs, but also his space and sleep. He is always first into the car, buckled up and ready to go, regardless of the time to the next destination. He can't wait to get to the coast though. The best thing we do for Elijah is print up the itinerary. Joseph has gone through long thumb sucking sessions, screaming and hitting but seems to think the whole trip and the whole world is his audience. He is 3 going on 13. Kurtis is his hero, Elijah his best mate. Daylight saving is great, but try getting a 3 year old to bed in full sunlight at 8:30...it is starting to have an effect on him.

We caught up with some old friends from Northside Christian College days. Kellie and Michael Ross. Always good to catch up with people around this great country of ours. Since Port Augusta, we have not seen one NT number plate, so the stares and conversations with people are getting longer. I will miss the novelty of the number plates on the car as my rego runs out in February. Quote of the trip from someone at Forbes. "Alice Springs hey? Always wanted to go there, I bet the barra fishing is excellent." I politely told him we lived in the middle of the desert and I have seen the river flow about 10 times in four years.




This was the park we discovered at Speers Point. Now this was a park! Yes Grandad and Grandma, Joseph (and Dad!) made it to the top and slid down. Joseph 5, Dad 1.




The Newcastle Ocean baths were a fantastic way to end our time in Newcastle. Warmer in the water than out, but a beautiful back drop.



A new year and our trip is nearly over. I am looking forward to reflecting on my time in Alice and putting even more photos and stories up on the blog as they come back to memory. I do need to finish this time and look forward to the next chapter on my journey. I am really hopeful of finding the best job I can, but also the right job as I settle back into life on the east coast. I really want to work hard on maintaining my fitness and being as healthy as possible. Getting pneumonia on the very day of my 40th birthday was a bit of a shock to the system, but I think I have recovered really well and after my usual indulgences over Christmas and New Year, I am ready to get back into the beach runs, surfing and helping Kurtis learn what doing a preseason is all about! Great to have Belinda's blessing to continue my football career in the Masters, but I loved playing a game of 7 a side soccer with Yirara and having Kurtis play as well. A dream to play a competitive sport as father and son. Off to Coffs Harbour tomorrow for another 2 night stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment